- what information we collect through use of Arbutus-newyork.com
- which purposes we use personal information we collect and
- your rights regarding your personal information.
When Do We Collect Personal Information?
We receive personal information from or about you depending on the nature of your activities, especially in the following cases:
Sign-up/Registering: We store the information that you provide to us, such as when
- you create an account at our website (including e-mail, name, date of birth and additional information you may voluntarily provide us for example your general interests or items you register that you previously purchased in stores).
- you share any pictures/materials with us for publication on social media.
- you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us.
Transactions: We collect details of purchases on our website (date, price and products purchased) as well as when you return or exchange a product or when you send us your product for warranty or repair service and any communication in connection with this.
Visiting our website/Using e-mails: We store details of your visits to the websites (such as pages visited, browser details, your IP address) and your interactions with any e-mails that we send to you.
What Do We use Personal Information For?
Transactions/Provision of services:
- We use your personal information to process your purchases, send you confirmations or electronic receipts (if you requested this), screen transactions for fraudulent behavior, and handle any returns, repairs to exchanges of your products and for any related communications.
- We use your personal information to administer your website accounts such as to enable you to access your shopping bag, to see products you saved for later, products you registered or to show you other products that may interest you.
- When you enter a contest, we process your personal information to enable your participation.
Analytics: We may combine and use personal information to help us learn more about our users’ shopping preferences, to be able to tailor our offers and websites according to your interests and preferences, to help us address problems with and improve our site design, products and services, to analyze trends and statistics and to present content in the clearest and most friendly manner for you.
Marketing: We may contact you for direct marketing purposes per e-mail, text message or mail unless you have opted-out from receiving further direct marketing messages (see below for your opt-out options).
Securing our assets: We may also use personal information to protect the security or integrity of our websites and our business.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Cookies are small files which are sent from the website and then stored on the hard drive of your device. Pixel tags, also called web beacons are clear image (i.e. non-visible) files that may be placed on a website/in an e-mail and which request information from your device such as your browser type (also referred to as "Cookies" hereafter).
Arbutus may permit third parties to collect user personal information over time or across third-party websites, and we may permit third parties to gather personal information passively on our website for behavioral advertising purposes.
Additionally, some Internet browsers have a ‘do not track’ feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These features are not yet uniform, so we are currently not set up to respond to such signals.
Types of Cookies
We use session Cookies that expire at the end of a browser session (from when a user opens the browser window to when they exit the browser) and persistent Cookies which remain on your hard drive until you erase them or they expire. How long a persistent Cookie remains on your browser depends on how long the visited website has programmed the Cookie to last or they can be stored for longer.
- Functional Cookies: These Cookies are required for the website to function and for you to use our services. They include, for example, Cookies that enable you to log in, use a wish list or store products in a shopping cart.
- Analytical Cookies: These Cookies analyze how users navigate around the website (pages visited, links used etc.) or use e-mails we sent to users. They enable us to better understand interests of users and to improve our website and services. We currently use Google Analytics for such analytical purposes.
- Third party advertising: We use third-party service providers to display advertisements (banners or links) on our behalf across the internet. These advertising service providers may collect information about your visits to our website and your interactions with our products and services, as well as your visits to other websites. Such information does not include your name, address, e-mail address but may contain browser-related information.
Disclosures/Sharing of Personal Information
Arbutus will not provide personal information to any third party without obtaining your prior consent except for the following cases:
- We may involve other companies for the purposes described in this Policy. Third party providers perform various different services in support of our websites and our business such as administrative, computer, technology outsourcing, data processing and marketing services. In these instances, we will need to share your personal information with these companies. Where we engage service providers that use personal information on behalf of Arbutus we will use reasonable measures to contractually ensure that personal information is only used for the purposes of Arbutus.
- Occasionally we may also share your personal information with select third parties so that they can send you promotional materials about goods and services offered by them. We may also occasionally share your personal information with organizations that combine the personal information with publicly available information and information we receive from or cross-reference with our marketing partners and other third parties. We use that combined information to enhance your shopping experience with us, to communicate with you about our products, to inform you of events that may be of interest to you, and for other promotional purposes.
Arbutus will keep your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes described above or as long as we are required by law. After this your personal information will be deleted. We cannot remove your personal information when there is a legal storage requirement, such as accounting rules or when there are other legal grounds to keep the data, such as an ongoing contractual relationship.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Accordingly, while no set of privacy and security standards or safeguards is 100% secure, we take steps to ensure any information that you share with us is kept secure and strictly confidential in accordance with this policy. We take various precautions to protect information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, alteration, destruction or similar risks.
Links to Other Materials
If you are offered a link to connect to a third-party website, it is for the convenience of our website visitors. Sites linked to and from this website are not necessarily under the control of Arbutus and Arbutus has no responsibility for the content or privacy practices of any such linked site or service. We recommend that you read the privacy policies of those third parties to see how your information is handled.
Opt Out Procedures
If you do not exercise your opt-out or "do not share" choices upon registration on our websites, it may take up to ninety (90) days for your opt-out choices to be fully effective.
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from our Website about children under the age of 13. We request that persons under the age of 13 not use our Website without supervision from a responsible adult. We will never request personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent. If we become aware that a child under the age of 13 has sent personal information to us without prior parental consent, we will remove his or her personal information from our files.
Access to Your Personal Information
This website gives you the ability to view and change the personal information you provided to us within the My Account section of the website. You may access information we hold about you, request a correction where data is incorrect or a deletion of your data, unless we have to keep your data for legal reasons. For any inquiries please contact us at email@example.com
How to Contact Us
Please address any questions or concerns, inquiries, complaints, requests to access or correct your personal information, or requests to limit the processing of your personal information regarding our Privacy Program or our practices concerning personal information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.